Special Needs Dance - Preschool Ballet
Brea Blaylock, Southern Illinois native, graduated with a Bachelor of Science degree in Speech Language Pathology and Audiology along with minors in Psychology and Dance from Southern Illinois University-Edwardsville (SIUE). During her schooling at SIUE, she was a member and performed volunteer work with the National Speech Language and Hearing Association, as well as Kappa Delta Pi, an international Honor Society in Education. Brea recently received her certification in Autism Movement Therapy and has training and familiarity in American Sign Language/Deaf Culture and Studies. She has over 30 hours of speech therapy training, which includes the area of ASD and other learning disabilities. Along with teaching at UDA, Brea is a special education emphasis teacher at an inclusive Montessori school, Elizabeth Academy, located in Salt Lake City. She is also a consult in the establishment of a Montessori school for special needs students, Las Maripositas, in Canilla, Guatemala. Brea has experience teaching and training in the genres of ballet, modern, tap, creative and contemporary dance.
Education and Professional Experience:
- Bachelor's degree in Speech Language Pathology & Audiology, Psychology minor, Dance minor
- 30 hours of speech therapy with special interest in Autism Spectrum Disorder
- Selected as a University Dance Company member during undergraduate work at Southern Illinois University-Edwardsville
- Performed in American College Dance Festival prestigious Gala performances 2 consecutive years
- Artistic residencies with Omar Olives and Jennifer Huffman-Olivas of Diavolo Dance Theater, The Big Muddy Dance Company, Jon Lehrer of Lehrer Dance, and Michael Mizerany of Malashock Dance